It’s autumn in North America, and that implies that householders and contractors are busy eradicating suburban leaves. It’s nearly unattainable to keep away from the deafening roar of gas-powered leaf blowers.
Right here’s what we all know, no doubt:
- Utilizing a leaf blower is unhealthy for the listening to and respiration of the person, usually a low-paid employee with no actual choices.
- They’re annoyingly loud, and will be heard from blocks away.
- There are a lot quieter, safer and cleaner alternatives, simply accessible. In the long term, they’re additionally cheaper.
We additionally know that:
- In a single hour, a gas-powered leaf blower will emit as a lot carbon dioxide equal as driving a typical inside combustion engine automotive 3,000 miles. (That’s not a typo). The small print are here.
- The aggressive nature of commodity backyard care pushes gardeners to decide on the quickest, least expensive choice, whatever the prices to the employees, the neighborhood or the local weather.
- The know-how to interchange gasoline leaf blowers is confirmed, cheap and available. And but… They’re nonetheless right here. And the reason being that they’re handy, a sunk value and a short-term revenue hack.
The answer, if we’re critical, is to ban gasoline leaf blowers. The replacements pays for themselves in just a few weeks. As soon as the aggressive enjoying subject is re-set, gardeners will come out forward. Worker well-being will improve, and the leaves will nonetheless get blown.
So what’s the issue?
We’re not critical sufficient about making change occur. If we cared sufficient to get two dozen pals and neighbors to point out up on the village corridor, the laws might be modified in just a few conferences.
However generally it’s simpler to do nothing.